Another One Bites the Dust

Keeping my students’ pencils sharpened has been one of those things that absolutely drives me crazy.  I’m not talking about the management aspect, I’m talking about finding a pencil sharpener that works-for more than a month.  My current super cheap sharpener lasted less than a month.

I’m now conducting a just for kicks experiment on which new pencil sharpener I like the best.

Option A

Option B
I used my new electric sharpener, and it worked perfectly for 48 brand-new pencils.  It was wonderful!  However, my students are so excited to have a crank sharpener they can use!  They think it’s the coolest thing ever.
Geometry Riddles
On another note, I’m trying to give my students some additional geometry practice.  I’ve found that they do a great job of identifying shapes when looking at a picture, but they have a more difficult time identifying shapes when reading a description without any visual clues.  I created a very basic activity that should help with this skill.  In it, students have to write riddles for 5 different geometric shapes of their choice.  When students finish the worksheet, they can go around the room and quiz their classmates.  You can grab your copy by clicking on the picture.

Ashleigh

Comments

1. says

I feel the same way about pencil sharpening. I think a huge part of the problem is the quality of so many of the pencils that make through my classroom door.
    LOVE the Geometry riddles sheet! Thank you!!!

2. says

I hate sharpening pencils! My pencil sharpener is about to bite the dust. I have your option A currently and it has lasted me 2 years but I foresee a new sharpener in my future.

3. says

polkadotowl is RIGHT!!!! contact troy and he will hook you up!!! the sharpener is AH_MAZING!!! I am fixing to go order 2 more right now!!!

4. says

I am so glad to hear someone else having issues with sharpeners. I've had all three of those sharpeners and none of them have passed the test. Option A lasted maybe a couple of months. Now I have X-acto School PRO and I do not let my kids use it. I sharpen thier pencils. Its working out and its a great sharpener so far. I've had it for a couple of months now!

5. says

This is fantastic. One of the girls that live in the apartment complex came home with something similar and she asked me if I could solve her math riddle. Very neat idea.

6. says

I have had Option A for two years and just recently I have noticed it is not as sharp anymore :( At least the motor didn't die like so many before it, though. I have read sooooo many blogs about the pencil sharpener mentioned above~ last I checked, it was out of stock, but I need to check again…. nothing is more satisfying than a super sharp pencil :)

Thanks for the riddles sheet~ I do this every year with my students, but this is way way cute!

~Stephanie
    3rd Grade Thoughts

7. says

I was given the Bostich sharpener at the beginning of the year. It stopped working in December. I contacted Bostich and they sent me a new sharpener because it was under warrenty & I had the original receipt.

8. says

Hi, Ashleigh. Just found your blog. I am a retired GA teacher but am always looking for ideas for the student teachers I now supervise as well as things I can use in working with my grandchildren. Couldn't help but laugh when reading the post about your pencil sharpener. The PS was always my biggest headache!!! A few (very few) years before I retired I invested in a $40 from STAPLES. It was the best investment I ever made…only wish I had thought of it sooner. I know it's rather expensive (on a teacher's budget) but it was money well spent!